14 replies, 9 voices Last updated by  White eagle 6 days, 22 hours ago
  • Author

Henry Trikelife
    Participant
    @henry.trikelife

Jeff Trike
    Participant
    @jeff_trike

Henry, great video as always. Stevensville, MT looked like fun! But you still have another month left to fly in 2018.
    Did your airport survive the fires ok?

Henry Trikelife
      Participant
      @henry.trikelife

Hi Jeff, there were two fires near the airport. Last year, the biggest fire in California history started just a mile north of the airport. Then, there was another one 15 miles south. But no damage was made on the airport property.

Tom Longfellow
      Participant
      @longfellow_tom

AMAZING!!!

Spencer Forman
    Keymaster
    @spence

WOW! Henry what an amazing journey (and year!)…. I would have loved to be up there with you 😉

Spencer Forman
    Keymaster
    @spence

Questions:
    1) What is going on around 1:20 with the trike making wakes in the water? Is he a float plane or actually putting his wheels in the water? (fear of flipping??)

2) How did you get your trike around to so many states…fly or trailer?

3) Looks like Stevensville “kicked some but” with wind and turbs?

Henry Trikelife
      Participant
      @henry.trikelife

Hi Spencer, I usually trailer my trike for interstate trip. That was a big surprise in the evening. The air was good when we took off from the airport but 30 minutes later, there was pretty bad wind share right above the runway.

Henry Trikelife
        Participant
        @henry.trikelife

Yes, he was flying in an amphibious trike.

Kevin Szalapski
    Participant
    @kszalapski51

Henry Really enjoyed the 2018 version of 9000 miles in a trike. You sure got to fly all over the Western U.S. It looked like some rough air at 4:54 minutes into the video. Judging by the pilots clothes it was hot out that day, so it could have been some strong thermals. Wonder how the landing went. Great video and the 4K cameras look very sharp with good color. The United States sure offers a great variety in geography to fly over. I liked the text showing where you were flying at bottom of screen.

Henry Trikelife
      Participant
      @henry.trikelife

The airport is located at the foothill of huge mountain range called Bitterroot. When we flew near mountains, we experienced some strong winds came down from the range. The wind carries the cold air from the peaks with snow even in July. I think the strong and cold air stream was mixing with the hot air right above the airport, making some strong wind share. Funny thing is that it was very turbulent until 50 feet above the runway. Then, it was no turbulence and just cross wind on the runway.

Jozinko
    Participant
    @jozinko101

Hi Henry, great video as always. I wanted to ask, but Spence was earlier… The “nice evening” at Stevensville… prety nice rock & roll. But the video….is awesome!

Henry Trikelife
      Participant
      @henry.trikelife

Thanks, Jozzy. That was very turbulent air I experienced. My control bar was almost out of my hand. Very violent. It was very rough till 50 feet above the ground but only some closswind right on the runway.

Joe Hockman
    Participant
    @Joe Hockman

Awesome video Henry. In 2018 you really were able to fly some incredible sites. Yes, I will never forget the turbulence right over the airport at Stevensville. A few times I felt like a rag doll thrashing around knowing I would really need to be on my toes to bring her down safely.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Joe Hockman.

Tony Ford
    Participant
    @tony

As Jeff said Stevensville, MT was a rough one. Always enjoy your videos. I’m still waiting on the IMAX version. When you get your next trike, will it be “Japanese Hornet”?

White eagle
    Participant
    @Davidcoy.trike

Turbulance at stevensville was predictable and resident considering we were on the lee side of the bitteroots. What was wild there was that it held on into the evening hours.Ground effect to 100 ft agl seemed smooth . But you could get up higher and find smooth air and out of washboardy turbulance. As many of you were there at lee homsteads runway at the 2017 pacific north west fly in you can remember we saw simular patterns of washboard turbulance above the runway. Simular lee side of a big mountain. Everyone did such a good job navigating through it i thought . And a testiment to training and skills. Ttabbs is working out arraingements for the 2019 pacific north west fly in. I can tell you its a great location and i will posting more info fo pilots can plan for it as soon as we can get it set in a bit more stone. Henrys videos always are such a great representation of how every place has its own unique sets of rewards.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.